Ruby is a precious gemstone that has been prized for centuries for its rich, red color and durability. As a result, ruby engagement rings have become a popular choice for couples looking for a unique and meaningful symbol of their love.
Types of Rubies
- Natural Rubies: These are the rarest and most valuable type of rubies, known for their rich red color and natural inclusions.
- Synthetic Rubies: These are lab-created rubies that are made to imitate the look and feel of natural rubies. They are less expensive and can have fewer inclusions, but they lack the character and uniqueness of natural rubies.
- Treated Rubies: Many natural rubies are treated to improve their color, clarity, and durability. The most common treatment is heat treatment, which can enhance the red color of the ruby.
The color of a ruby is one of the most important factors in determining its value. The most highly prized rubies are a deep, vivid red with a slight blue undertone. The color should be evenly distributed throughout the stone, and it should not have any brown or gray tones.
Ruby clarity refers to the absence of inclusions and blemishes in the stone. Natural rubies often have inclusions, which can add character and uniqueness to the stone, but too many inclusions can detract from the beauty of the ruby. Synthetic and treated rubies are often more uniform and have fewer inclusions, but this can also make them look less natural and unique.
- Yellow Gold: Yellow gold is a classic choice for ruby engagement rings, and it complements the warm red color of the ruby.
- White Gold: White gold is a modern and stylish option, and it provides a striking contrast with the red of the ruby.
- Platinum: Platinum is a more expensive option, but it is also more durable and hypoallergenic. It also provides a beautiful and timeless background for the ruby.
Care For Your Ruby Ring
- Store your ring separately from other jewelry to prevent scratches and damage.
- Avoid exposing your ring to chemicals and extreme temperatures, which can damage the ruby and the metal.
- Have your ruby ring professionally cleaned and checked annually.
Ruby engagement rings are a beautiful and meaningful symbol of love and commitment. With its vibrant red color, durability, and versatility, a ruby engagement ring is a timeless and classic choice for your engagement ring.